Susan Stiffelman: 14 Tips for Managing Your Anxiety After the Newtown School Shootings
Here are some great tips on how to manage your anxiety so you can be a calm confident parent to your children after a major tragedy like the Newtown school shootings.
1. Surround yourself with those you love.
2. Engage mindfully in familiar rituals.
3. Stay nourished.
4. Take action.
5. Schedule worry time.
7. Make a list of all the ways your child is safe.
8. Allow yourself a good cry.
9. Challenge your thoughts and beliefs.
10. Meditate, pray, spend time in nature, or write in your journal.
12. Play with your kids.
13. Do things that settle you emotionally.
14. Stay sober.
Advice from Susan Stiffelman, author of Parenting Without Power Struggles: Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids While Staying Cool, Calm, and Connected
Stop It Now! offers a phone and email Helpline dedicated to preventing sexual abuse. For more information, contact http://www.stopitnow.org or call 888-PREVENT.