Alva Sachs: 10 Tips on How to Write a Children’s Book
10 Tips on How to Write a Children’s Book
1. Keep the book between 28 and 32 pages.
2. The text should be between 800 and 1,000 words.
3. Keep your readability consistent and your characters relatable.
4. Hook the young reader in the first paragraph or page.
5. Make your story a page turner.
6. Illustrations complement and enhance the story.
7. Allow the reader to anticipate what is going to happen.
8. Develop meaningful, imaginative, and creative content.
9. Stimulate communication and socialization via your book.
10. Never talk down to a child, especially in the written word.
Be sure to read the comments on this recent Facebook post
regarding the viral power of Pinterest.
Save the Children works to eliminate the problems that face children in the United States and the world – problems such as poverty, hunger, disease, and illiteracy. A donation of $70 provides education for one girl in Afghanistan for one year, paying for her school fees, uniforms, books, and school supplies. You can donate by going to http://www.savethechildren.org.
Curator: John Kremer