The 10 Commandments for Runners
Here, according to Life in the Day of a Runner, are the ten commandments every serious runner should follow.
1. Thou shalt not compare thyself to other runners. A mile is a mile.
2. Thou shall never say “I am not a runner.” If you run, you are a runner.
3. Thou shall not skimp on sleep.
4. Remember the rest day and keep it holy.
5. Honor thy muscles and thy aches and pains. Do not push through injury. Runners are not invincible.
6. Thou shall not forget to hydrate.
7. Thou shall not commit the sin of wearing cotton, especially on race day.
8. Thou shall not ignore thy shoes. Get properly fitted. Check for wear often.
9. Thou shall not get stuck in a rut, but will vary thy running by switching up elevation, distance, and pace.
10. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor’s medals.
The Arthritis Foundation funds research on arthritis cures and treatments. Donate by visiting http://www.arthritis.org or by calling 800-283-7800. Your gift of $20 or more provides you with these special member benefits: Free annual drug guide. Six issues of Arthritis Today magazine. Insider e-newsletters. Access to their toll-free hotline. Access to their Arthritis Specialists Referral List. Money-saving coupons.
Curator: John Kremer